Energy Efficiency Building Retrofits to Rocket

A new report from Navigant Research, reveals that the worldwide market for energy efficiency retrofits in commercial and public buildings will grow from $68.2 billion in 2014 to $127.5 billion by 2023.

Voluntary energy efficiency certification programs and energy efficiency regulatory requirements are driving the market’s growth, according to a new report.

Commercial and residential buildings account for 35 to 40% of total energy consumption worldwide. Commercial buildings, in particular, consume large amounts of energy related to heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC), lighting, water heating, and other building systems. Efforts to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions have led to increasing deployments of energy efficiency retrofits for commercial and public buildings.

“Because the existing building stock dwarfs the amount of new building space being added on an annual basis, energy efficiency retrofits are a critical pathway to greening the world’s commercial buildings,” says Eric Bloom, principal research analyst with Navigant Research. “Enrollment in voluntary green building certification programs has been on the rise around the world, even as regulatory and policy measures in a growing number of regions provide strong support for energy efficiency retrofits.”

One key question within the building retrofit industry is the initial reason or motivator for pursuing energy efficiency retrofits. The vast majority of building owners and managers who decide to complete an energy efficiency retrofit are motivated primarily by system replacements rather than the motivation to improve efficiency, according to the report. Navigant Research estimates that approximately 15% of all energy efficiency retrofits are initiated with increasing energy efficiency as the primary motivator, while the remaining 85% of energy efficiency retrofits are initiated for other reasons.

The report, “Energy Efficiency Retrofits for Commercial and Public Buildings”, examines the global market opportunity for energy efficiency retrofits in eight different commercial and public building types.

Global market forecasts for revenue, segmented by region, product and service type, and building type, extend through 2023. The report also assesses the demand drivers, business models, and standardization and regulatory factors related to energy efficiency commercial and public building retrofits and profiles the key industry players in this market.

Picture of Pentagon Mall by Ben Schumin (Own work) [GFDL, CC-BY-SA-3.0 or CC-BY-SA-2.5], via Wikimedia Commons

Tuesday 8th April 2014


Add New Comment:

Comments

To Comment you must be a member of The ESA, please login or register to join

There are currently no comments, be the first to comment above.